Monday, October 21, 2013

October 20, 2013

Dear Sucu (isn't interesting, I have been on Kosrae for almost a year
and I haven't used that word for "Family" once),

Happy Birthday, Dad.

We were able to watch conference yesterday and Saturday. It was
absolutely wonderful. Nobody was told about it until Wednesday, and
then locations got changed late Friday afternoon, so we were pretty
durned busy running around trying to get people informed. In regards
to people that we are working with, it was a little disappointing.
Nobody made it except for an ancient less-active man. But, I think
that the effects of the conference on him are longer-reaching than any
of us realize.
The Sunday sessions were available in English from an internet
connection in the chapel. I started watching it there, but the
connection kept getting worse and worse, so I ended up going in to the
other room and watching it in Kosraean. It was much more enjoyable
there.

As for the group in Malem, we are still working as hard as we can for
it. We now have President Mecham on-board, and have the full support
and approval of the District Presidency. We are now working with the
Utwe Branch Presidency. Edward is doing well, but is still kind of
struggling with a slight "I'm less-active because I'm less-active"
mentality. A few more times at church and finally receiving the
Priesthood should help him out.

We are working with Barry right now. He has been to church at least
ten times in the past, and is finally kicking his drinking and smoking
habits. He hasn't drank in over two weeks, and has cut down to one
cigarette a day. We are hoping to get him to the point where he could
be baptized next week. His kids are some of the greatest things ever
to happen to Kosrae, and I am planning on getting them all to baptism.
Wonderful family.

I went on an exchange last week down to Utwe, where I had a pretty
unique experience:
We had just finished watching the Restoration movie with Tomik Tomik.
During the movie, a small pig--maybe about six inches tall--started
running around. Now I'm not necessarily a pig-lover, but I do have to
say that it was pretty cute. It was affectionate, let's put it at
that. Anyway, it ran inside the house while I was bearing testimony.
As soon as I said the words, "By the power of the Holy Ghost, I know
that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God," the pig flew screaming
head-first out the door into the middle of our discussion. The
dynamics of that particular lesson changed quite dramatically after
that. Oh well.

As for package items, I am still doing well on white shirts and
garments. I will have to think about it.

Things are going really well. I am healthy and happy, and the
circumstances here are changing. What a wonderful time to be here. I
love you all very much.

Love,

Elder Gerber

No comments:

Post a Comment