Monday, November 4, 2013

October 28, 2013

Dear Family,

I hope you all know just how special you are, and not just to me. The
longer I'm away from you, the more I realize it (spell-checker is
telling me that realize is spelled with an 's'. Too bad, Mr. Spell!).
I am so proud of all of you, and love hearing about what you are all
doing.

Yesterday was a wonderful day. It wasn't even close to being perfect,
but there were a few things that happened that made up for it. First,
Salik came to church. He's a less-active member that we have been
working with for a little bit. He lives about a two hour's walk from
the chapel. We met with him on Saturday night and committed him to
walk to church. And he did. It was one of those times where I think I
start to feel like Ammon et al, being a little overcome with joy.
Also, there is a family investigating the church that I have taught a
few times in the Utwe area who are now attending church regularly.
Those two things alone made that day a wonderful day in paradise.

As for the group, we have everything sorted out, except for a group
leader. There are two active priesthood holders in our area--one of
them is the District President, and the other is the Branch
clerk/Elder's Quorum Pres./Sunday School Teacher/Ward Missionary. They
bookend the area, and the District President goes to the Lelu Branch.
So, we have a few less-active members that we are working with to get
ready to take the position (see "Salik" in the above paragraph). It is
going to happen soon.

We have been teaching some incredibly kind people. I would go so far
as to say that the nicest people on Kosrae are here in Malem.

I had a cold reality check this week: my trainer finished his mission
last Wednesday. He is now in Manilla, and was able to send me a nice
letter.

I am running out of time due to internet problems. In answer to
questions and comments: those cd's sound great, Dad; I definitely get
your messages, Mom; I could use a few pairs of exercise socks--the
ones I brought are now all worn out; Owen and Andy, you two are my
favorite people and I wish you could be here with me; I am so proud of
each of you for sharing your beliefs; I love you all more than I can
say in an email.

Love,

Elder Gerber

1 comment: