Friday, July 19, 2013

June 30, 2013

Dear Family:)

I always love the letters, but this last one was especially good:) I
was so happy to hear about all the wonderful things that you are all
doing. The boys are growing up, and I guess that I never thought that
I wouldn't be around to see it. Thank goodness for the miracle of
emails.

Hahaha do you really want to know what I brought back in my suitcase?
Pop-tarts, cereal, granola bars, pancake mix, and brownie mix. That
was it. But, it was all in bulk, and came to almost exactly 50 pounds,
so it all worked out wonderfully (I was able to roll all of my clothes
and other stuff up into my carry ons). It has been pretty great:)

Elder Ferguson and I are doing well. It is a completely new experience
for both of us. He does a lot of speaking in English right now--which
means that I do a lot of translating right now--but we have been able
to see a lot of people, and I can see a lot of people are really
preparing to get baptized.

We have been working with a lady, Ninac Mira, ever since before I came
to this area. She is living with a member, but they're not married
yet. She really wants to get baptized, and we are really working on
getting her married, then baptized. We got them reading the scriptures
together every night, and praying together every night. Now, we are
getting them to get their physicals. They didn't have any money to get
them, so we told them to start making us some local food that we can
buy from them (we figured that that was in accordance to the rules).
So, she should be getting baptized within the next month or so.

We just had Brother McFarland and his wife come visit the island. Bro.
McF. served here from 2006-2008, and was fortunate enough to come
back. It was fun to talk with them at church and see them interact
with members that he had taught.

We took a trip to the Wiya Bird Cave today. That was pretty cool, and
the views were incredible. It was back in the Lelu area, and I was
able to see some people that I knew there and we had a great time.
Afterwards, we played some great local-style football on the beach.

I laughed a little bit when I read that Mom and Elder Ferguson's
mother were emailing. I don't think that he is acclimated to Kosraean
Missionary food yet. We went shopping today and it was a whole
different experience. I don't think I'm going to be eating
rice-hotdogs (an old Utwe favorite) for a while. Thanks for getting us
a food package;)

We do, in fact, have an air-con unit in our room. Our house is nice,
just really, really small. I think that our entire house could fit on
our wood floor in the living room. But, since it is just the two of
us, it is more than enough.

As for the 4th of July, Kosrae doesn't really celebrate it anymore.
There was a time when they were more associated with the US; but their
status has changed. There is actually a little bit of an anti-American
feeling now, mostly because the contract with the States is running
out; this includes less and less money coming from the gov't. But, for
the most part, Kosraeans really want to go to the States.

I do have some bad news. We will no longer be on bicycles when the
next boat arrives (probably sometime in August): we are getting a car.
I was very sad to hear this, but it will be a lot more effective.
There have been a lot of instances where we have to really pick and
choose who we would see, based on time. Now, we will be able to teach
a lot more people. And, on a brighter note, we will finally be able to
ditch the helmets:)

I am healthy and happy. Things are going well, and I am expecting good
things. Burnis is still doing really well, and we are still seeing him
quite a bit.

I love you all a whole lot.

Love,

Elder Gerber

No comments:

Post a Comment