Friday, July 19, 2013

May 20, 2013

*Sorry I got so behind in posting!!!! I'll see if I can't round up some pictures as well. :)

dear family:)

It sounds like your weekend was really fun. I'm really glad that you
were all able to get together like that:) And I bet that Owen and Andy
did indeed enjoy it.

Dad, stop losing weight. I don't want to get off the plane in so many
months and have to ask where you are, only to find out you're that
weird stick of a man by her side.

So we just got back from a Waclucng trip. We went by small boat, and
it was pretty durned fantastic. I got some great pictures that I am
planning on sending home next Monday. However, on the boat trip home,
we got soaked and salted; sitting here in a air conditioned room is a
killer. It's got to be some ridiculous number like 65 degrees or
something;)

So I don't know if you all recall our investigator, Bernice; but he
has been coming to church regularly and is preparing to finally get
baptized this Saturday. He has made huge progress in his
addictions--in fact, he gave us his can of tobacco to get rid of it
for him two days ago. That was an odd feeling, holding something like
that. But, he related some incredible experiences to us that have been
happening recently; but what I loved the most was when he told us that
when God starts doing lots of stuff for us, He expects us to start
doing what He wants us to do. Pretty smart guy.

There is now a military presence on the island; they are digging
ditches and driving around big army-type vehicles. Normally, whenever
we see other white people, they are just kind of freakish looking
(tall, gangly, pinkish-white); but now they are tall (more like
giant), and very intimidating. I used to think that a mission would
help me talk to people more easily. Turns out that it has only helped
me feel really comfortable talking with Islanders and less comfortable
with white people.

So we are trying really hard to get people here married. It is kind of
weird when they ask us how to go about getting that done; I usually
say something like, "I don't know; I've never done it. Go ask your
mom." And then they asked if we could be the ones performing the
ceremony. I stared long and hard at my ministerial certificate...and
then told them no, the Branch President would be much more
appropriate. Dodged a bullet on that one.

So I want you all to know how much I love you. It has been wonderful
to get a letter from Mom and Dad every week, and the letter from Owen
and Andy is always a highlight of the month.

Everything is going very well.

Love,

Elder Gerber

No comments:

Post a Comment