Friday, July 19, 2013

July 7, 2013

Dear Family,

I really enjoyed reading your letter today. I don't ever really feel
that far away from you all. I think that God is able to bridge any
distance between people, no matter how few times they actually get to
talk to each other.

We had a wonderful Fast Sunday yesterday as well. I have noticed that
when I fast, my emotions come a little closer to the surface (for
better or for worse). We didn't have that many people show up at
church, and I was pretty depressed to begin with. As the meeting
progressed, I was having a difficult time feeling the Spirit. Then, as
we were singing the closing hymn, I heard the voices of those faithful
members; maybe truly heard them for the first time. I couldn't finish
the hymn. Truly, wherever two or three are gathered together in Jesus'
name, He is in the midst of them.

I have seen some amazing things happen this last week. We have been
working with the Branch President's daughter. When President was
baptized a few years ago, she was adamantly opposed to the church.
Then the rest of her family started getting baptized, and she softened
a little bit. She got back from college in Pohnpey a few weeks ago,
and we have been trying to meet with her for a while now. We have had
some wonderful opportunities to share the gospel with her at church,
as she has been attending with her family every once in a while, but
we had never been able to teach her on a personal basis. Then, last
Wednesday, she told her parents that she wants to be baptized. We have
taught her the first lesson already and she is preparing to be
baptized this coming Saturday.

Also, Ninac Mira is doing extremely well. She is devotedly coming to
church and is very excited to get married and then baptized. She has
made arrangements to get to the hospital today to get their physicals.
She should be baptized within the month. She has had the missionaries
meeting with her for years now, and it is incredible to see her
finally doing the things that she needs to do to receive the blessings
of the Gospel in this life.

As for thunder and lightning, Kosrae doesn't get much. However, when
we do, it scares the people half to death. We had a pretty big
lightning storm the other day, and people were coming up to us and
asking if it was the end of the world. That is how rare it is. The
bright side of this was that the night before, it seemed that everyone
and their cousins were all smoking together. We were able to subtly
suggest that the thunder may or may not have been God's response to
such behavior:) Hahaha to be perfectly honest, I hadn't seen much
lightning for so long that I got a little nervous myself.

Things are going very well. I am very happy and healthy. President
Mecham is coming in today for a Zone Conference, and those are always
a treat. I know that what I am teaching people is true more strongly
than I did last week. Thank you so much for being more than just a
biological family, but brothers, sisters, and parents; as well as
brother-in-laws and nephews. I love you all.

Love,

Elder Gerber

No comments:

Post a Comment