Wednesday, September 11, 2013

July 21, 2013

Dear Family,

As I was reading your letters today, I started to think, "Wow, they
sound really busy. I can't imagine what that would be like." This
thought was immediately followed up by, "You idiot. You are just as
busy as they are." I guess one of the nice things about being a
missionary is that I enjoy this kind of busy-ness (I know I should
have written "business" but it didn't feel quite right for some
reason). I have never really enjoyed being busy until now, and I guess
that is where that thought originated from.

I am so glad that the card made it safe and sound. I had completely
forgotten about some of those pictures and videos.

We are having some new experiences. First, we are now teaching a
Seventh Day Adventist pastor. I must say that this man is a wonderful
missionary: bold, confident, and willing to talk to anybody (he
actually contacted us). As we were talking with a less-active member,
he came up to us and started talking with us. He made some very
almost-subtle comments about our beliefs, as well as some references
to past missionaries that had met with him. It honestly should have
been a ferocious battle concluding with us pacing 12 steps then
turning and throwing our bibles at each other's chest; but it turned
out to be a very different exchange. As he was attacking certain of
our beliefs, the Spirit came and I felt a perfect calm and assurance
of what I was teaching. As soon as he allowed us to speak, all I said
was that I knew by the power of the Holy Ghost that God lives and
loves me as well as him, that one of the most important things we can
do in this life is love one another, that the Bible is true, and that
the Book of Mormon is true. By the end of our conversation, he invited
us to his house this coming Thursday to share our message with him. We
were able to separate with a prayer and a warm handshake. It is an
incredible thing to have a member of the Godhead with us.

We are also teaching a very prominent member of the Protestant Church
right now (and by very prominent, I mean practically the highest up
you can get without being in the paid clergy realm). He brought up a
concern that I had never heard before, and I quote, "You believe that
each elder who serves a mission will become a God of his own planet
that is only populated by women who will serve him." I could only
blink for a few seconds. And then we quickly taught him about the Plan
of Salvation. I sometimes wonder if Satan and his pals get together
and have contests to see who can get someone to believe the craziest
thing.

I'm a little ashamed to admit that I can't wait for our car. It will
be so much more incredibly effective. Of course, now that I say that,
the boat won't come for probably another few months.

So I do have a question: was Andy belt testing with a case of shingles
on his leg? I mean, it may be an obvious answer, but at the same time,
I would like to know for sure.

I am doing well. I am happy and healthy.

Love,

Elder Gerber

No comments:

Post a Comment