Wednesday, September 11, 2013

August 5, 2013

Dear Family,

Q&A:
How is it going with Elder Ferguson?
--Just fine. Every new companion is an adjustment, and he is still
adjusting to mission life; but it is going well.

Did the people you were working with get married?
--They have a wedding date for Aug. 15.
How is the branch pres.'s daughter doing?
--Very well. She came to church yesterday and an activity on Saturday.
We are still having a hard time getting to teach her, though.
We are starting to think another package for you.  Any needs or requests?
--Maybe some pictures that I can put in my album. The mem. card for the camera.
Did you get your car?
--Yes:) It has been wonderful. We are finally able to see everyone we need to.
Are you still playing your guitar?
--Should the Pope be LDS? Of course;)
What is the best thing about being a missionary right now?
--Love.
What is the hardest thing?
--Impatience
How are your friends doing?
--I think pretty well. I just got a letter from Alec recently and he
sounds like he's doing great. I sent a letter off to Jackson and
haven't heard back yet. I have no idea if Jared ever got the letter
that I sent to him. Other than that, I get notes from friends
occasionally--nothing really consistent. Is there any news?
Is your hair getting darker?
--Only my facial hair. Actually, the kids here still don't believe
that I don't wear colored contacts or dye my hair.
How long have the Eldredges been there?
--They will be done this December. We have yet to hear if we will
receive a replacement couple.
Do you know how much we love you??:):):)
--:):):)

We had an eventful week. As mentioned above, we got our car last
Thursday. That has been the most convenient development since sliced
bread (quite literally, whenever we buy bread we usually have to slice
it ourselves).

I experienced something new last week: we went up the mountain to
visit some members on Saturday. While we were there, they asked us to
give a blessing to their mother. This sister has been sick for years
and years with diabetes, and can no longer see or sit up. We were
privileged to give her a blessing of comfort. She then grabbed my
hand, and made some deathbed wishes. Among other requests, she asked
me to go to the branch and tell the members how much she loved
them--especially the Relief Society. She asked if the branch could
hold a special meeting where they would all go to her house and sing.
She asked to receive the Sacrament for the last time. She then told me
to make sure she was buried next to her parents and husband. We cried
together, and I left feeling a responsibility on my shoulders that I
wasn't accustomed to carrying. Her love for the church was astounding.
I will always have her as a testimony that the church is true.

We saw some miracles yesterday at church, mainly from members. It was
such a relief to see members attend yesterday who hadn't been in
years. It was quite nice to wear my Fast Sunday tie:)

There is something that has me a little worried, though. Over the last
week, I had three old ladies ask about missionaries getting married.
Then, every single one of them has offered to guard a Kosraean girl
for me so that I can finish my mission and then come back for them
without needing to worry about other guys coming into the picture. Two
of them even told me just to write the name of a girl down and give it
to them so they could go live with her. I didn't really know how to
respond to them, so I just said thank you and ran away (pathetically,
quite literally). Hopefully, this will end soon.

It is so great that you all have been able to see so much of the
family recently. It is such a different world back there and you all
sound so ridiculously busy. I hope you are all doing well.

I love you all very much, and I want you to know that I am doing great.

Love,

Elder Gerber

No comments:

Post a Comment