Monday, September 16, 2013

September 16, 2013

Dear Family,

So, I have been TRANSFERRED. I am now serving in the Malem area with
Elder Blackwell from Alberta, Canada. My new house is pretty dang
suite. We have the greatest view anyone could ask for--every morning I
get to look over a lake-like part of the lagoon with Sleeping lady on
the side. See if you can find the elementary school in Malem on google
earth; our house is the complex right across the street from it.
Technically the village is called Sracnsrik (the spelling of each town
varies widely from person to person, but that is probably the main
spelling). This new area is very interesting, and probably the most
diverse area on the area. We have the most jungle, as well as the most
city. It is a new adventure, and it's gonna be great. Elder Blackwell
is a swell guy. I like him a lot.

We also just had District Conference for the entire island. President
Mecham flew in for the weekend, so we also just had our Zone
Conference this morning as well. It was absolutely wonderful, as
usual.

I also just picked up a box from the post office. I have not yet
opened it, but I am dying inside to get it open. Thank you so much. I
do have to tell you all that those packages are extremely special to
me. I am getting more and more emotional over each one. Thank you for
your sacrifices.

Actually, speaking of mail, I recently sent home a letter with a few
things that I have picked up here that I wanted to share with you all.
There wasn't too much, since it was kind of hard to fit in the
envelope, but I was able to send a tape of a Kosraean band. I haven't
been able to listen to it, as it is not approved, but I hope that you
can enjoy it. Everyone is always tuned in to the local radio station,
and so we hear it all the time. Hopefully it will give you a taste for
some of the local life.

Right now, I have my sights on a branch in this area. There are two
active priesthood holders in the area, and one of those is going to
the other branch (the Utwe branch is technically the Utwe/Malem
branch). There used to be a branch here, but it got closed down. My
goal is to at least get a group going. There are a few scattered
members, and we are going to get them together. I think that I am
going to have to work harder than ever here, but that the harvest will
be incredibly rewarding. We are planning on baptizing a few people by
the end of this month, and we are discussing how to set up a group
with President Mecham right now. I am feeling extremely optimistic
about this new area.

As for raw fish, there is a local food called "sasrimi" that I have
found absolutely delicious. It is: raw fish. Sometimes with lime juice
or maybe other spices. You can do it with any fish (or so Kosraeans
say). I was really getting into it, until President Mecham put it on
the Do Not Eat list. Oh well.

Speaking of food, where did all of the advice on eating well come
from? I am eating quite well.

That is quite sad that the Book of Mormon is delayed. I have been
hoping for that for ten and a half months. However, the wonderful
thing about it is that the English Book of Mormon is true and that
spiritual knowledge is not dependent on being able to understand what
you read.

I am very happy. Things are going great. I love you all very much.

Love,

Elder Gerber

No comments:

Post a Comment