Monday, September 30, 2013

September 29, 2013

Dear Family,

So right off, I laughed really, really hard when you asked about Elder
Blackwell. He is pretty sarcastic and pretty dang funny. He just
doesn't smile a whole lot. Kosraeans will comment on it sometimes, and
he is getting a little self-conscious about it. Needless to say, I
read that question to him:)

We just finished those cookies you sent, and they were absolutely delicious.

Pat (sorry, Dad, but it's pronounced "Bat." Actually, his real name is
Palikkuhn, but goes by Pat) got baptized Saturday. It was a really
nice service, and the river he chose was beautiful. He is a really
special kid, and is doing really well. His mom is still pretty
antagonistic, but allowed it to happen. He has a lot of faith. It is
really different teaching him because he was raised in America for his
whole life. His conversion is a miracle. There hasn't been a baptism
in this area for almost a year. He should be getting the priesthood
next Sunday.

We are also working with Edward. He moved to the States as a teenager,
and ended up in Utah for about 20 years. He actually lived in Layton
for most of those. I asked him where in Layton, and he described a
spot that I drove the work truck past for about 2 years. Actually, he
lives in Rolling Hills Estates, which is really why I noticed it in
the first place. Ridiculously small world. He was baptized in Utah,
but was never really active. Then he got deported, and I am convinced
that he was a literal God-send to the area. He has a knowledge of how
the church is run, and has a really good testimony. We are looking at
him as the potential group leader. Good fun.

So Bishop Page sent me a copy of the ward newsletter. As I was reading
Haden's letter, Elder Vesikula looked over my shoulder and asked if he
could read it. Later, he told me that he almost cried he was so happy
about Haden's successes in Fiji. He is from Suva, but knows the other
islands pretty well, and said that that particular island was kind of
a tough area. I thought it might be nice if the next time you see the
Heath's, you could let them know that their son made at least one very
big Fijian very happy.

I am very happy and excited. Walls are breaking down, and things are
happening. Thank you so much for the prayers and sacrifices--they
really make an invaluable contribution.

Also, it seems like Elder Richards should be home about now. If that
is true, I am really blown away at how fast time is going.

I love you all very much.

Love,

Elder Gerber

PS--I especially enjoyed the comics Owen and Andy sent last week. I
hope you two know that you are the best. No other missionary I know of
has brothers that write them, let alone write every week. I always
look forward to hearing about what is going on in your lives. I pray
for you guys a lot, mostly just in my gratitude prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment