Wednesday, September 11, 2013

August 16, 2013

Dear Family,

First of all, thanks for the letters. I really appreciate them. You
really all are quite amazing and I am so happy to be part of your
family.

As you keep sending little phrases in Tahitian, Dad, I keep noticing
similarities between our languages. I don't know if there is something
behind this or not, but I did notice it.

We just had a meeting with President Mecham this morning. He flew in
for a training meeting for the new district priesthood leaders. He
came and visited the Utwe branch yesterday, and it was really nice
(although I will admit that translating for the mission president is a
little intimidating). The meeting that we just had with him was
fantastic. Also, we received some very specific direction for our work
in our area. Elder Ferguson and I had felt inspired a few days ago to
get the list of members in the branch and go and visit each one. Then,
President assigned us to go and activate five men in the branch.
Obviously, this is what God wants us to do and is part of his plan.
I'm pretty excited to see what's going to happen.

We are also having a Book of Mormon challenge--where we read the Book
of Mormon in six weeks, marking out certain topics--right now. I'm
pretty excited for this one, partly because the last Book of Mormon
that I read for a challenge, I gave to an investigator. So, I chose
out a slightly beat up copy that I won't be tempted to hand out. I
want to keep this one, and I have been having a wonderful time with
it. The topics this time are: the Atonement, the doctrine of Christ,
the Gathering of Israel, and any scripture that we feel impressed to
share with people. Eventually, I want to have the library of copies of
the Book of Mormon where each one is marked by a different topic. I
can't remember which general authority talked about this, but I'm
pretty sure it was an apostle (maybe Elder Holland). It sounds pretty
great to me anyway.

I'm so glad that you were able to offer to help your visiting teachee,
Mom. Isn't it great that when we keep looking for ways to reach out
and help people, eventually we find them? I am so proud of you and Dad
for being such strong examples, and not only to your own family. You
two will have affected thousands and thousands by the end of your
lives. I know that each person that I teach, I teach what I was taught
by you two. And I expect that Owen and Andy will say the same on their
missions.

Owen, I have been thinking about you and Andy over the last couple of
days. School just started for the Kosraean kids, and I realized that
you will be starting high school. I remember that my sophmore year was
my least favorite. Let me tell you right now, that it didn't have to
be. If you want to have a great school year, obey the commandments.
Thats it. That is the secret. Also, try this Book of Mormon challenge:
read the entire Book of Mormon by the end of the school year, marking
out all scriptures on Prayer and the Atonement. From personal
experience, I can tell you that it will help your school work more
than anything else. And, I think that your seminary class this year
will be on the Book of Mormon. I'm telling you buddy, don't let that
slip by.

Andy, I hope you know that I have thoroughly enjoyed each comic you
sent me. But, more than those, I love hearing from you. I hope you and
Owen know just how much I love you and how excited I am to see you two
again. Keep up the good work. Try to join Owen on the Book of Mormon
challenge. Actually, maybe you could commit Mom and Dad to try it with
you guys.

I have loved feeling the Spirit on my mission. I can't say if it is my
favorite part of my mission, but I do know that it is A favorite.

I love you all very much. I am happy and healthy.

Love,

Elder Gerber

PS--I am still trying to figure out how to get the trinity knot on my tie.

No comments:

Post a Comment