Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September 2, 2013


Dear Family,

It sounds like it has been a big week for everyone. I'm so glad that
you were able to get blessings and that things are starting out on
what seems to be the right foot. You're right, Mom: it is a wonderful
thing to have a worthy priesthood holder in the home who uses it. When
I am feeling down or just kind of rotten inside like something is
wrong, I usually ask my companion for a blessing. The interesting
thing is, usually the other missionaries on the island have been
feeling the same way, and there have been times where we have had
wonderful experiences giving each other blessings.

It has kind of been a tough week. Sister Mira did not go to Tofol to
get the last paper, and so she did not get married. One of the most
wonderful thing about Kosraeans is that they know how to relax and not
worry about things. I am getting a little sick of legal red tape on
stuff. Maybe I need to learn how to relax...

We had a really good activity with another sick member of the branch
yesterday. It was really similar to the last one--singing hymns and
short talks from a few people--and it went really well. There have
been a lot of good steps taken in the branch, and it is slowly
starting to turn around. Home teaching is finally being integrated,
and is slowly catching on. We have been able to join a few
appointments, and they have been absolutely wonderful. It is
incredible to see the difference when a member talks to another member
about church, versus the missionaries talking with the members about
church. I do have to say that I will take home teaching a little more
seriously in the future.

I also want to talk a little bit about Brother Joseph. First and
foremost, it is always fun to find people with pretty authentic
Kosraean names: Joseph Nakamura. So many Kosraeans are descendants of
European whalers and have last names like George, Jim, Benjamin, etc.
that each Kosraean name is a treat. Anyway, Joseph has been taught by
the missionaries for a long time. And he has finally gotten really
serious about his baptism. He has given up smoking and betelnut, and
is finally getting over his anxieties about coming to church. He is
working for this Saturday, and has made some absolutely wonderful
progress. Elder Jeppesen commented on it after he conducted the
baptismal interview with him. I am pretty darned excited for him.

Yep, I get Elder Gamble's weekly letter, as well as the occasional
note. It sounds like he is doing fantastic.

Speaking of friends, it has been a while since I have heard anything
about Best Friend Jackson. Does anyone know where he's at? Also, Best
Pal Jared. I got a letter from him way back when, and sent a letter
off to one of the craziest addresses I have ever put on a letter. I
have been able to email Best Bud Bronson, and he is doing great last I
heard.

Things are going well. I am healthy and happy. Thank you all so much
for everything.

Love,

Elder Gerber

PS--Maybe you can start up a brand of chapstick with a simple name of
'Gerber.' Then you'd know you'd have at least one addicted customer
who would always be thinking of us:)

PPS--As for the package, the only thing that I can think of at the
moment is the CTR ring (classic cheap green shield. I think I like
those the best, and I am proven to lose anything expensive). Anything
that makes it in there is highly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment