Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September 10, 2013

Dear Family,

First and foremost, Joseph was baptized Saturday and confirmed Sunday.
It was my first time actually baptizing somebody, and it was a
memorable experience. We were planning on doing it in the river pretty
close to our house, but when we got there to scope it out, it was too
muddy. So Joseph opted for the ocean. The tide was a little low, and
the water was too shallow for probably the first 150 feet, and then
after that, the water was still too shallow and the waves were really
high. Finally, Joseph and I knelt down, waited for a lull in the
waves, and then I was able to lay him down in the water. And then
almost lost him as a wave came by. As miraculous as his preparation
for baptism was, it was pretty miraculous that we were even able to
perform the ordinance. I'm laughing about it a little now, but it was
kind of hairy for a while there.

Actually, with Joseph, I have learned a lot. For these last two weeks
or so I have been feeling like he wasn't ready. In my mind, he needed
more time. But I found that every single time that I prayed about it,
I felt very strongly impressed that he was to be baptized now. So we
went ahead with it. The changes we have seen in his countenance are
miraculous. What a wonderful experience.

Things are looking really promising. I can see quite a few people that
the Lord is preparing right now, and it is very humbling to be here at
this time.

I did something last week that I have never done before in my life: I
finished an entire journal. Turns out that the last page was filled
out on the 333rd day of my mission. I was blown away. Also, it was one
of the nicest feelings to start out my new journal with a baptismal
program. It is really odd to me to think that I am coming up on 11
months. My trainer goes home next month, and some of the missionaries
on the island are getting pretty low on remaining transfers as well.

I am thrilled that you were able to go see Brother Taylor in concert.
That sounds like it was incredible. Hopefully some recording was made
somewhere that I can listen to later on. 

Glad to hear that the garden is doing so well. It sounds super
rewarding. I remember I told Elder Conejero once about our yard, and
then later on found out that he thought we lived on a farm.

So I don't really recall sending Bishop Page a letter very recently,
but I'm super glad that it got to him and that it made him happy.

As for my Kosraean, I feel like my comprehension is very good; I never
get lost during a conversation and usually understand each word. My
speaking is improving as well. I am really trying to hold myself to a
high standard, and so I am trying really hard to get better. Kosraean
is a really easy language to get by in--I was able to teach any
subject by the end of my first transfer. But once you dive deeper, you
find that the language is actually decently complex. So, I still
stumble little bit, but mostly because I am trying really hard to
attain a local fluency.

My cooking? It's getting better, I guess. Elder Ferguson does most of
the cooking; he really likes good food, and my food just doesn't cut
it. I am the rice/mackerel/cabbage missionary, thank you very much.
Haha

Glad to hear that you are teaching the Social Security class each
Sunday. I'm sure those kids are getting a real education.

I love you all very much. Way to go, Owen for getting your Patriarchal
blessing. I try to read mine as often as I can, and it is a wonderful
tool.

Love,

Elder Gerber

No comments:

Post a Comment