Tuesday, April 15, 2014

November 11, 2013

Dear Family,

Christmas is here. We have now sung Christmas hymns in sacrament
meeting for the last two weeks, and I have seen lights on people's
houses. It is super fun but kind of odd, since this is what was going
on when I first got here.

Barry didn't get baptized yesterday. However, he is looking forward to
this week. I am really happy for him. He and his family are doing so
much better. He has come so far, and his family is really noticing. I
am very happy for them all.

Also, we are finally making (what seems to be) some headway on the
group. We have had a name suggested for group leader that none of us
had even thought of, but seems to be the perfect fit. We will see what
happens, but I am still really optimistic. Edward also made it to
church yesterday and was finally officially welcomed into the branch.

We had Branch Conference yesterday. It was slow and at times a little
rough, but there were some really good things that happened. It was
very nice to sustain our leaders. All the talks were on unity, and
there was a nice spirit throughout the meetings.

So the big underground news on the island right now is that Islam is
coming to Kosrae. They are looking for a spot to build a mosque right
now, and the Kosraeans are abuzz. It is kind of enlightening, in a
way. I can see why it was so hard to get the church here at all. Who
knew that I would be sympathizing with the Muslims on my mission, let
alone defending them in a few instances. It is odd to see what I am
becoming more and less tolerant of.

Congratulations, Owen. I am impressed with you. It is not easy to
become a blackbelt. I am so happy for you and your accomplishments.
The more I hear about you and read you letters, the more proud I grow
of you. Thank you for being an example.

As for Elder Conejero, I don't know. He lives in Manila, Quezon City,
and all I have heard is that the Phillipines got hit pretty hard and
that thousands are in trouble. I hope that he is all right, but I
think he's a veteran. He told me quite a few stories about different
floods and stuff that happened. I'm sure he's ok.

Good luck on your cruise, Mom and Dad. The boys will be fine. They'll
probably love it. Of course I will continue to pray for you all. And
let's face it, Owen and Andy are more responsible then I ever was.

Mom, I want you to know that the only nights that I really do remember
were the ones that you or Dad came down and talked to me. I don't
remember a lack of them, but a general sense that they happened often.
Your sacrifices really did mean a lot to me then, and mean a heck of a
lot more now. I am overwhelmingly blessed with the family that I was
given. I really am looking forward to living with you all for forever.
Isn't it odd that we sometimes say that? I think I should say, I
really am enjoying living with you all for forever.

I believe I have brought this up before, but Kosrae has an abundance
of holidays. And most of them wind up on Mondays. And we also
celebrate most of the American holidays (which are mostly on Mondays
as well). And the post office is conveniently closed on each of those.
So, I have a few letters that I am trying to send to grandparents,
Aunt Betty, and a few friends that are just getting backed up as
Monday after Monday happens to be a holiday. Maybe I'll try and pass a
few off to the Zone Leaders to mail tomorrow.

I am very happy and healthy. Things are going very well. I love you
all very much.

Love,
Elder Gerber

No comments:

Post a Comment